Did anyone watch Downton Abbey last night? Wasn't it so sad? I was crying on the couch. I really didn't expect that to happen. Can't wait to see the show next Sunday.
Anyway, on to the reason for this post. This past weekend, I made a mood board for my daughter's room. Olivia will be turning 13 this April! Unbelievable to me. She has long since been past her "pink princess" phase. She wanted to use the colors green and purple in her room. I really tried to talk her into a room with white walls because I'm dying to decorate a room with white walls and pops of color. She wasn't feeling it though and said she wanted her walls to be green. She also wanted her bedding to be purple, but I convinced her to go with white bedding and purple accents so that she can change the look later on if she gets tired of it.
The mood board is just to give you an idea of the direction we want to take in her room. A lot of the stuff we already have, so I'm not giving an actual source list yet. Once the room's done, then I'll let you know where we got everything, if it's new to the room.
We wanted the room to be feminine, but not to frou-frou girly, if you know what I mean? I'm very excited about it and can't wait to get started. Sorry that the numbers are so faint. This was my first attempt at a mood board in Polyvore.
1) The walls will be green, similar to this. We want something bright and cheerful. We'll have to try paint samples on the wall to see what's going to work.
2) She already has a capiz shell chandelier, that I DIY'd a few years ago out of wax paper. It still looks great, so we're going to keep it.
3) We'll use pillows to bring in the dark purple color that she loves.
4) I'd love for her to have a comfy slip covered chair so that she can have a little corner to read or take off her shoes (or throw all of her clothes on, instead of the floor).
5) She has two Shabby Chic bookcases that we got years ago from Target.
6) I'm thinking of putting swing arm wall sconces around her bed, because she loves to read at night, and they save room on night stands.
7) Just more dark purple accessories to bring in her favorite color.
8) I love, love, love this floral fabric so I'm considering making some floor length curtains from it. We'll see, it might just wind up being an accent pillow. It also has some raspberry in it that I love, so we can add that color into the room, as well. I also want to incorporate some geometric shapes through the use of fabric.
9) She already has this Shabby Chic vanity, also from Target, that she's using as a night stand. I'd like her to be able to use it as a vanity in her room so we'll be putting a mirror over it.
10) The desk and chair we already have. The desk is a hand me down from her cousin, Amy, so we'll be painting it white and adding silver hardware. The chair we found at ReStore for $5.00, and we'll be painting that white too, or possibly a pale purple?
11) The white shag rug, we already have, and it's from Target too. Geez, I really need to shop somewhere else besides Target! What I like about it, is that I can machine wash it in our front loading washer. This is great because it's white and because Olivia is allergic to a lot of stuff, so it's nice to be able to get all of the dust and dander out of it.
12) For her bedding, I recently found two plain white duvet sets at Overstock for $50.00 each! Yay! On one of them, I'll be stenciling the duvet and pillow cases with a large geometric pattern in dark purple, because I could not, for the life of me, find any bedding or fabric that was purple that I liked.
Thanks for dropping by and I hope you have a great day!
Linking up at Katherine's Corner and here.